Got promoted to 2nd Degree Black Belt

Have a story about Jimmy H. Woo, your instructor, a friend or even yourself? Share the adventure...

Moderator: San Soo Sifu

Got promoted to 2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby bigpappa » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:55 pm

It has been a journey since I first was promoted to Black Belt back in 1998. I wish I had worked on my degrees back then, but I'm chipping away at them now!
bigpappa

Re: Got promoted to 2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby Dedicated Villain » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:09 am

Congratulations!
Dedicated Villain

Postby bigpappa » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:38 am

Thank you!

Now I'm off to working on my 3rd degree. Six more degrees total until Master, and it will be a long journey, but worth it in the end. As I realized, 6+ years from now, I can have nothing, or I can be a master. Regardless of what I do or don't do, the time will pass - its up to me to make the most of it.
bigpappa

Postby Ron G » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:28 pm

Six Years, come on, just save $189.00 and buy a Red Book, that's all you need. heh heh Congratulations!
Ron G

Postby bigpappa » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:19 am

Thanks Ron!

To touch on your point Ron, and what I think you are saying, I do have plenty of lessons from books I've purchased (don't have a red book yet), but as I've learned since I've went back for lessons - there is no substitute for learning under a master. I can't stress this enough to anyone out there reading this. The corrections he has made to the techniques I've done for years, the subtle differences in body posture, movement, timing - none of those things can be learned from reading a book or watching a video. So many times I thought I was doing exactly what he told me to do, only to be corrected yet again. Its so easy to watch something online and practice it yourself and think you have it down - until someone who really knows what they are doing points out everything you are doing wrong.

Sometimes instead of being wrong per se, its more a case of good, better, and best. I can pull off most any technique, but there are often times better ways to do it, and a truly advanced best way to do it. Its the very subtle details that really increase the effectiveness. Effectiveness, in my opinion, is the most critical thing of all because the results can literally save your life.

My former instructor that promoted me to black belt was only a 2nd degree black belt himself. Nothing against him, he was great at what he knew. But the depth of understanding about the principles of san soo and how they are applied was on a far different level than a master. I didn't realize that until I started training with a master. We cycle through the basic 45 over and over again, but I never complain because each time we review them, I learn how to do them more effectively than the last time we reviewed them. I'm also trying to break years of habits, and that's hard to do. At first, I was like "thats not how I originally got the lesson," but then I realized that my former instructor, while teaching the correct movements in the correct order, just didn't have that deeper level of understanding of the body mechanics and positioning that a master has.

This would apply to pretty much any sport. There is a big difference between a high school football coach and an NFL coach.
bigpappa

Return to Anecdotes