Crawling between someone's legs...

Fast or slow, hard or soft, linear or circular, standing up or on the ground... talk about body mechanics and the fine motor skills you need to develop to become an effective fighter...

Moderator: San Soo Sifu

Crawling between someone's legs...

Postby Dedicated Villain » Wed May 24, 2017 6:10 am

https://youtu.be/PNIkkZtMSpk

You can see it in the clip above. I just don't understand why those techniques are taught. Makes no sense to me and doesn't seem like an effective technique at all. Also it's way to complicated to go for something like that in a real fight. I learned moves like that too when I studied San soo.

How do you guys feel about techniques like that? Did Jimmy really teach these?
Dedicated Villain

Re: Crawling between someone's legs...

Postby San Soo Sifu » Wed May 24, 2017 8:05 am

Yes, Grand Master Jimmy H. Woo did teach these type of techniques.

The key phrase to remember is "from an inferior position."

I have two books on Shaolin Dog Boxing; and almost all of our techniques of this type can be found contained in those books.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_Kung_Fu
Hit First...Hit Hard...Hit Often...and Finish Him Off!
San Soo Sifu

Postby Dedicated Villain » Wed May 24, 2017 8:56 am

"From an inferior position"

Okay, in that context it makes sense and I understand. But you have guys training to offensively seekout that position while they train.
Dedicated Villain

Postby San Soo Sifu » Wed May 24, 2017 9:22 am

Think of it as a worst case scenario; as if you are already falling to the ground (i.e. losing balance, slip and fall, taken down, or knocked down, etc.); your falling momentum is taking you in a certain direction, and you grab ahold of your opponent's leg and take him down with you (or if you fall without grabbing ahold of him; then some sort of striking up at him from your inferior position); so he isn't standing over you and kicking the crap out of you.
San Soo Sifu

Postby Ron G » Wed May 24, 2017 9:42 pm

100% right Jon,
I see why many arts teach in secret because people see things, don't ask or check them out and make a decision of it being a bad move or a bad art. Many think we were totally stupid, we also wondered, we discussed, we practiced, we worked it out. This is exactly what Jimmy said, "Some times you may fall, get thrown, or find yourself on the ground is when you would use these things. When you work out you don't just lay on the ground and do the movement, but use it from standing for practice."

If a man dives through an opponent's legs in a real fight, when he can remain standing, then he cannot be very smart.
Ron G

Postby Dedicated Villain » Wed May 24, 2017 9:53 pm

San Soo Sifu wrote:Think of it as a worst case scenario; as if you are already falling to the ground (i.e. losing balance, slip and fall, taken down, or knocked down, etc.); your falling momentum is taking you in a certain direction, and you grab ahold of your opponent's leg and take him down with you (or if you fall without grabbing ahold of him; then some sort of striking up at him from your inferior position); so he isn't standing over you and kicking the crap out of you.

What you're saying makes perfect sense.

However in the vid I posted and many others I've seen on YouTube show people actively seeking that position after countering a strike. Makes no sense. Why would you train someone to crawl between someone's legs after striking their head or body? That's my issue.
Dedicated Villain

Postby San Soo Sifu » Wed May 24, 2017 11:25 pm

Dedicated Villain wrote:Why would you train someone to crawl between someone's legs after striking their head or body?

Ron Gatewood wrote:This is exactly what Jimmy said, "Some times you may fall, get thrown, or find yourself on the ground is when you would use these things. When you work out you don't just lay on the ground and do the movement, but use it from standing for practice."

If a man dives through an opponent's legs in a real fight, when he can remain standing, then he cannot be very smart.
San Soo Sifu

Postby bigpappa » Thu May 25, 2017 1:07 pm

You also have to consider the instructor, and why the techniques are being taught.

The instructor may have learned the technique a long time ago, but either wasn't told or didn't put any thought into the lesson, so doesn't really understand its real application.

They may just continue to use or teach it because it looks cool in a demo, or just because they know it.

Their students may also dutifully practice it because their instructor showed it to them, and may continue to do it because the need one more technique to add to their repertoire for their freestyle workouts.

They set it up with punches or kicks most likely because they need to bridge the gap in order to get into the right position.

San Soo Sifu and Master Ron Gatewood both hit the nail ont he head, and that shows the difference between someone with knowledge and experience vs. clones.

I will admit there is one lesson that I learned that I rarely do anymore because it sets my arm up perfectly for them to do an armbar on me. Due to the growing number of people who have taken a BJJ class nowadays, I worry that it wouldn't be a smart move to do in a real fight regardless of how I got there. I just don't want to give them my arm between their legs on purpose. Yeah, the lesson tries to prevent this by suppressing one leg with your leg while you hold onto the other leg with one hand, but anybody that knows how to do an armbar will have no trouble freeing their legs and slapping an armbar on you.

This video below shows the lesson I'm talking about at the 1:22 mark. To be clear, I'm not criticizing these guys, and I actually like their smooth, controlled workout. I'm just mentioning this particular lesson, as I received it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYWaH8nNDOo
bigpappa

Return to Studio Training