Choy li ho

Check out some of these...

Moderator: San Soo Sifu

Choy li ho

Postby bigpappa » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:56 pm

I came across this video on youtube, and wondered if anyone can elaborate on choy li ho lessons? Most of them look relatively familiar to me, but i never learned anything specifically called choy li ho. I see that bill hulsey has lessons in his system by that name, but what are origins, how many lessons are/were there, at what belt level are the lessons usually taught, etc?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QaElCq3nSnk
bigpappa

Re: Choy li ho

Postby bigpappa » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:43 pm

When i learned some of those lessons, they were called futgas.

Anyone?
bigpappa

Postby RonG » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:25 pm

Choy (Tsoi) Li Ho (Ha) is the name of our Art, with Hung and Fut added, that is another story. The Woolsey system uses names for techniques that us old timers never heard Jimmy say, such as Ah Soo (basic 45 which some were also changed, I know what Frank was taught, I was there). It would seem strange if Jimmy named techniques the same name as our Art. The techniques (I did not watch them all) seem to be similar to what we were taught. Remember Woolsey was not welcome at Jimmy's from the early 70s so there were many lessons that he did not see. Maybe he created some lessons so he could teach longer.
There were four sections, Basic 45 (Ju Jitsu's), Chi Na (Aikido's), Fut Ga, Nam Pi, after that all was taught as Fut Ga.
RonG

Postby bigpappa » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:36 am

Interesting. I remember my first san soo insrtuctor listing various parts of san soo as ah soo, numpai, and tally ho, but that last one always sounded funny to me so it was probably choy li ho he was saying.

I thought he trained and received his black belt from jimmy, but maybe he trained elsewhere? I'm gonna have to email him now.

I've heard other patrts listed as li ga and toshiga (sp?) from others. I've read up quite a bit on the five families here on the forum, but havent come across the latter.

Do you know where the choy li ho techniques fall within the woosley system?
bigpappa

Postby RonG » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:05 am

I wouldn't waste time what others said, it sounds like they don't know, what I told is what was. That is why our Art is in trouble, few learned the things/facts they should have, then they say strange things that don't make sense. One Master said that there was no Nam Pi, it was made up, I guess I should go in and throw all those Nam Pi lessons away. That sounds like a fox hunt, "Talley ho the fox", I am sure he was trying to say Tsoi Li Ho.
I chose a poor word "system", group would be better, all he knew was our Art, from my research I don't even think Ho was a proper use, all Jimmy was saying is those three are the families that our Art came from. Chan Sai Mo, the son of the man who taught Jimmy said Jimmy only knew Choy Li Fut when he left China.
If your instructor said Ah Soo he probably studied with a Woolsey student unless he was old enough to study with Frank.
I am afraid that when us old timers go, there will be no one to correct these stories/facts, this is why I have researched the information for my book. Several people who I have interviewed have died since the interviews.
RonG

Return to Video Clips