Temples

Discuss the medical implications and realities of close quarters combat as it relates to human anatomy and physiology.

Moderator: San Soo Sifu

Temples

Postby San Soo Sifu » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:03 am

Dave Lorenson wrote:From: SifuDave
To: All
2/19/01

Target: Tempora (the temples). Located just above the Zygomatic Arch, on the lateral side of each eye.

Effective Strikes: Hammer fists, one and two knuckle punches, panther (leopard) punches, elbow and knee strikes, heel kicks.

Patho Physiology: This area of the head is used commonly in Kung-Fu San Soo lessons for the simple reason that is brings unconsciousness quickly. Though the skull underlies some of the soft tissue on the surface, there are some bone structures that are easily fractured on the lateral side (outside) of the eyes. One of the muscles that controls the jaw lies at the temples and also branches of the temporal artery are found here. You know what this means, hit hard and there will be internal bleeding resulting in anything from a simple black eye to temporary or permanent blindness (from retinal damage, or structural damage to the eye). With a sharp blow to the temporal region an opponent will have uncontrollable turning of the head, which will usually drop the shoulder and turn them, upsetting their balance and opening up several more targets. Given the proper force, this blow could result in death, but much more often simply stuns or brings unconsciousness.
Hit First...Hit Hard...Hit Often...and Finish Him Off!
San Soo Sifu

Re: Temples

Postby San Soo Sifu » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:13 am

Ron Gatewood wrote:From: RonGatwood
To: SifuDave
2/19/01

Dave, I believe the most dangerous of strikes to the temple is a one knuckle punch, and it could be necessary for one to justify their action in a court of law, such as they were in fear of losing their life. I think a palm or fist, which would distribute the force to a wider area would have less chance of killing him. Just a thought, correct me if I'm wrong.
San Soo Sifu

Postby San Soo Sifu » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:17 am

To: RonGatewood
2/20/01

Exactly right as I see it Ron. In most cases the one-knuckle punch is more devastating, I am sure that is why it is used so much in the Basic 45.
San Soo Sifu

Postby San Soo Sifu » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:24 am

2/28/01

As Ron implied, the more focused our strikes get, the more acute the damage internally. When we widen the contact surface with a strike, such as with a palm, then we tend to do less internal damage and more external force is emitted. Simple physics applied to the human body.
San Soo Sifu

Postby San Soo Sifu » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:29 am

2/28/01

"the more focused our strikes get, the more acute the damage internally. When we widen the contact surface with a strike, such as with a palm, then we tend to do less internal damage and more external force is emitted."--- SifuDave

Certainly I would agree that smaller point of contact = deeper penetration. That is just common sense (ever seen an armor-piercing bullet?). To say less internal damage is done with a palm strike, however, is debatable. The reason for this is, a relatively hard weapon (a fist, for example) will tend to send energy through its target, resulting in knock-back. Internal damage is still caused, obviously, but much of the force actually exits through the target. A soft weapon (palm), properly controlled, will tend to expend its energy entirely within the target. Though it may not appear as damaging (no one is sent across the room), the organ disruption and internal tissue damage is typically far more severe than the damage caused by a fist.

A good real-world example of this can be found in little league baseball (of all places). For a while, leagues were advocating the use of softer "ragball" baseballs for kids. The theory, of course, being that the softer balls would do less damage when kids are struck with line drives and such. It didn't take long to find out, however, that these softer balls were actually more dangerous. A few kids were hit in the chest while fielding the ragballs, resulting in cardiac arrest.
San Soo Sifu

Postby San Soo Sifu » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:37 am

To: Waidan23
3/1/01

Let me explain what I was trying to previously and did such a poor job of. By saying that there tends to be less internal damage with a palm strike for example was my attempt to explain that (in general) the principals of physics are that the larger the surface area of contact the more spread out the damage will be. I was in no way inferring that palm strikes are neither effective, nor cause internal damage. In fact I believe I mentioned that a palm strike over the heart is likely to cause cardiac arrest, given it's proper execution. I understand your point and agree, it's just that I did not explain myself very well. My appologies. My contention is, though it is a minor detail, that the sharpened focus of say a one knuckle punch is more likely to cause internal damage to the organ in which the strike was focused on (given the same power in the strike). Blunt blows are certainly effective and we would be wise to include them in our arsenal.
San Soo Sifu

Postby San Soo Sifu » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:41 am

3/1/01

I totally agree with the main points of your previous post (the penetration of the phoenix eye or one-knuckle strike can be devestating, even to deep-seated organs and areas of dense muscle tissue), I just feel the power of "soft" palm strikes is often overlooked by the community in general (it's the Bagua fighter in me I guess).
San Soo Sifu

Postby San Soo Sifu » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:47 am

Dennis Kirby wrote:From: MasterBear1
3/7/01

Just a quick note, I really like the anatomy/physiology of kfss and the discussion of the principles of reaction to strikes and leverages on the human body. These chinese fighters really knew more than most people give them credit for about the human body and the reactions, voluntary and involuntary. I have never found a martial art with the detailed knowledge of the body that this clan has. About the temple area, I find it to be an incredibely dangerous striking area. The reasons you mentioned and also the fact that the skull is so thin in the area just in front of the top of the ear, it fractures very easily. If a fracture occurs from the result of a strike, just below the surface are some major arteries that will cause bleeding on the inside of the skull, not related to the orbital area, which can also cause death. The one knuckle strike to the temple is by far the most dangerous strike to this area. But any strike, hard slaps included, will knock you silly if not unconcious. It is a dangerous area to strike period. I also find the striking area just in back of the ear directed back to front to have similar results. Lots of sensitive nerves in those areas.
San Soo Sifu

Postby San Soo Sifu » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:51 am

Dennis Kirby wrote:From: MasterBear1
3/7/01

I couldn't agree with you more about the deadly one knuckle strike to temple area. I would also like to point out that many students don't use the one knuckle strike. I don't know why, I have always taught it to my students and the dramatic effects on the body when hit by it. I beleive it is because the students do not know the proper position of the one knuckle in reference to the rest of the fist. Many students will stick that middle finger out about 1 to 1 1/2 inch trying to make it more effective. Students do not hold their hand in the proper one knuckle striking position. They must think the farther out the finger is extended the better the penetration. I believe it is much more dangerous to the student than to the opponent. I have found that if you extend the one knuckle about 1/2 to 3/4 inch above the fore knuckles that it is gives you plenty of penetration and still allots good support of the single extended knuckle by the rest of the fist.
San Soo Sifu

Postby San Soo Sifu » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:54 am

To: MasterBear1
3/8/01

A couple of really good points here. Yes, one knuckle strikes are probably the most effective strikes to the temple and yes, it seems that many hold their hands incorrectly for the strike. It is as you say. You are also of course correct when you say that the temple and behind the ear are sensitive and have a strong reaction on the opponent when struck. There are so many nerves and blood vessels as you say that the damage can be severe even with well placed slaps. Another point of interest is that the blunt trauma to the head on any target can cause internal bleeding in the lining of the brain (subdural hematoma) which in turn causes pressure on the brain which causes unconsciousness and usually death if not treated promptly.
San Soo Sifu

Postby San Soo Sifu » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:03 am

To: LeeShadowBear
3/27/01

Actually the temple area is surrounded by more than one bone. Just to the lateral side of each eye is a thin strip of bone (zygomatic arch) that is part of the zygomatic bone and the frontal bone. These two bones join in front of the "temple". The sphenoid bone is part of the cranium that lies underneath the muscles of the temple. The sphenoid bone also makes up part of the nasal and orbital structures. I strongly recommend that you look at a good anatomy book in the library and see how the skull is constructed. It is a little difficult to explain some of what you are interested in. I am happy though to respond to any question, just let me know if this is a little more clear, or if I have just muddied the water. Another good point is that to the posterior of the temple, underlying the muscles is also the temporal bone. This could also be involved in a strike to the temple. Typically in San Soo, we strike to the soft tissue immediately behind the zygomatic arch which could fracture the zygomatic and sphenoid bones given the right amount of force.
San Soo Sifu

Postby San Soo Sifu » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:11 am

Howard Scrivens wrote:From: Hbomb8
4/4/01

I was hoping that you could help me out with something that is similliar as far as strking to the skull is concerned. A few years back, I had the unfortunate luck of getting into a scuffle with someone, allow me to digress. I struck this person just under his left eye, and right before the nose, when I did this, the mass under his skin seemed to feel like a bean bag when I struck it. I apologise for the example, but this happened all in a matter of seconds. I struck him with a right back hand, and in the process, broke my hand (to be accurate the 3rd metacarpal; otherwise, known as a "boxing fracture"). What I want to know is: What is that area known as under the cheek just under the eye? I have spoken with a few people, and have received explanations such as the "occular cavity," or occular plate, etc.
San Soo Sifu

Postby San Soo Sifu » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:17 am

To: Hbomb8
4/5/01

What you probably did was fracture the cheekbone (maxilla). There are a number of open chambers (sinuses) on either side of the nose, and just behind the eyebrows. As you can deduce, when you break the bone over an open cavity, it would tend to collapse, and the surface would get spongy.
I am not sure if this is what you are describing, but it would make sense to me. Another possibility is that your strike cause a large area of bleeding and clotting (hematoma); which would also cause the tissue to feel strange. The change in tissue in this instance would take a little while though (seconds to minutes) depending on the severity of the interstitial (between the cells) bleeding.
San Soo Sifu

Return to Anatomy and Physiology