Repeated Head Traumas May Raise Risk...

Discuss the medical implications and realities of close quarters combat as it relates to human anatomy and physiology.

Moderator: San Soo Sifu

Postby San Soo Sifu » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:47 pm

Denise Mann wrote:Study Shows Repeated Head Traumas May Raise Risk of Symptoms Seen in Lou Gehrig's Disease

By Denise Mann
WebMD Health News
Reviewed by Laura J. Martin, MD

Aug. 17, 2010 -- Repetitive head traumas and concussions, including the type sustained by many professional football players, may increase risk for developing a motor neuron disease that looks and acts a lot like amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) or Lou Gehrig?s disease. The disease is calledchronic traumatic encephalopathy.

The new findings appear in the September issue of the Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology.

"We are not suggesting that this is the same disease as ALS," says study researcher Robert Cantu, MD, clinical professor of neurosurgery at Boston University School of Medicine and co-director of The Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy there. "We think this is a disease that mimics ALS in terms of the spinal cord."

ALS attacks nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord resulting in progressive muscle weakness and wasting, according to the ALS Association. When chronic traumatic encephalopathy affects the brain and spinal cord, the symptoms are similar to what is seen in ALS.

Testing Tissue of Pro Athletes

In the new National Football League-funded study,researchers looked at tissue samples taken from the brain and spinal cords of 12 deceased athletes. Three of the 12 athletes -- pro football players Wally Hilgenberg and Eric Scoggins and one professional boxer/veteran -- had developed a motor neuron disease; two died after being diagnosed with ALS.

But the new research suggests that the three athletes may have actually had chronic traumatic encephalopathy. There was an abnormal form of tau protein in the brain and spinal cords of all 12 athletes. This abnormal protein is a hallmark of chronic traumatic encephalopathy.

What's more, 10 of the 12 also showed a second abnormal protein called TDP-43 in their brains. Only three of those 10 also had evidence of this protein in their spinal cord, and these were the same three athletes who were diagnosed with motor neuron disease, the researchers report.

This may have resulted in some of the ALS-like symptoms that led to the erroneous ALS diagnosis, Cantu explains. TDP-43 is found in brains of people who are diagnosed with ALS, but the amount was more extensive in the athletes than in their counterparts with true ALS.

Did Lou Gehrig Have Lou Gehrig's Disease?

The new findings suggest that professional baseball player Lou Gehrig may not have died from Lou Gehrig?s disease.

"Maybe Lou Gehrig had chronic traumatic encephalopathy," Cantu says. He sustained at least five documented concussions during his career. In addition, there are reports that he was knocked unconscious for five minutes after being struck in the head with a ball. He also played football at Columbia University before joining the New York Yankees.

Gehrig's brain and spinal cord tissue cannot be analyzed, so the truth may never come to light.

Going forward, "we need to get a better grasp of the incidence of this," says Cantu, who was recently appointed senior advisor to the National Football League Head, Neck and Spine committee.

"From this research hopefully will come animal research to get an animal model of the disease and then, we can work on medications and other therapies that could modify the disease in animals and then if successful, go on to humans," Cantu says, adding that the new study is very preliminary.
Brain Injuries of Combat Veterans

Time is of the essence. Traumatic brain injury has become the signature injury of the Afghanistan and Iraq war, suggesting that some veterans may be prone to this ALS-like disease.

"I suspect we see it in individuals with injuries such as blast injury," he says. Given the numbers of soldiers who develop these injuries, "this is very worrisome," Cantu says.

"The study just provides new information on the possibility that some motor neuron diseases are due to multiple concussion and head trauma from collision sports injuries," says Raymond A. Sobel, MD, a professor of pathology at Stanford University Medical Center and the editor of the Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology. Earlier studies have suggested that there was a link between head trauma and these diseases, but the new work is the first time that there has been evidence seen in the brain and spinal cord.

More study is needed before any sweeping conclusions can be drawn, he tells WebMD.

"This research may lead to a better understanding of what is happening in people with these diseases at a molecular level, which could lead to therapies or help preventing also in people who are at risk," he says.

"It is premature to say we may have misdiagnosed patients who were thought to have ALS," says Erik Pioro, MD, PhD, director of the section for ALS and related disorders at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio.

"I think that it suggests a connection between trauma and motor neuron degeneration," he says.

Perhaps ALS is not a single disease, he adds. "ALS, as we know it, may not be a single disease, but a syndrome," he says. "This research provides a piece in the puzzle of our understanding of what ALS is and is teaching us that it is more of a complex condition."

http://www.webmd.com/brain/news/2010081 ... lar-to-als
Hit First...Hit Hard...Hit Often...and Finish Him Off!
San Soo Sifu

Postby San Soo Sifu » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:48 am

Waldo Rastel wrote:Study Shows Headgear Does Not Lessen Impact From Hooks

By Waldo Rastel
February 9, 2012

The combination of headgear and boxing gloves does not lessen the risk of concussions resulting from a well-placed hook.

An absolutely fantastic study from a group of physicians from the Cleveland Clinic has found that the combination of headgear and boxing gloves do nothing to lessen damage from a rotational strike. This study involved a crash dummy head and weighted pendulum effectively simulating a punch. The punch could either be linear (jabs, straights, crosses, etc.) or rotational punches (hooks). The metric used in this study is the amount of force that was experienced by the head (units of gs) or the rotational velocity of the head (units of rad/sec).

Five different combinations of protective gear were chosen in this study: bare knuckle - bare head (control), MMA gloves - bare head, boxing gloves - bare head, protective headgear - bare hands, and protective headgear - boxing gloves. Also the punches can be either low impact or high impact.

In terms of linear punches, more padding equates to a lesser force for both high impact and low impact punches. The control experienced an impact dosage of 232 g. Each of the combinations of one layer of padding experienced a significant decrease in impact, ranging from 117 g for the MMA glove to 144 g for the boxing glove. As expected, the combination of glove and headgear produced the lowest impact dosage at only 65 g, a 72% reduction of force. Similar results were seen for the low impact punches.

The interesting part of the study focuses on the angular velocity experienced by the head after a simulated hook. It seems that there is no correlation between the amount of padding and the reduction of angular velocity. In fact, the padding seems to not lessen the angular velocity at all with the combination headgear and glove experiences the exact same angular velocity as the control. The padding lessened angular acceleration versus the control but the angular momentum transfer was again the same as the control.

This result is particularly worrying since rotational impacts have been linked to concussions. The current technology used for both gloves and headgear does not reduce the risk of concussions if the opponent lands a solid hook. Next-generation headgear must address this issue in order to protect amateur athletes from serious harm. Also further study including a simulation of uppercuts would be desirable.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2012/2/9/278 ... from-hooks
San Soo Sifu

Re: Repeated Head Traumas May Raise Risk...

Postby Captain America » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:56 pm

I don't see a real good physical explanation in the article, but my guess is that the circular/arcing hook punch is thrown with more body weight than a jab or cross more often than not.

But for the sake of argument, let's assume the article is reporting truth.

Then I would tend to think that strikes traveling in such an angle, as they are more commonly done in Old San Soo (as opposed to the anemic predominant linear fisticuffs offered by San Soo 2.0) are more effective. The circular art of Jimmy H. Woo is circular for multiple physical reasons... which now includes the reason of being more damaging.

---------------------------------

As an aside...

I can't wait to see the standards that 2.0 will set for their new version of San Soo (hence they call it San Soo 2.0), that I will not follow because these standards likely will get me in a place I don't want to be when the poop hits the fan...

Take an example offered by one of the Administrators of 2.0...

In RESPONSE to a left jab being thrown by an opponent, this 2.0 master icon person STEPS OFF TO THE RIGHT, TRAPS THE LEFT JAB ARM, TURNS, REVERSING HIS BODY MOMENTUM, and has time to throw a right/left combination to the opponent's head... before the opponent knows what's happening to him.

This is promoting magic as being real, as opposed to tricks performed to entertain.

I don't believe in magic as being real.

Jimmy didn't move like this or claim such supernatural powers.

Professional Boxers don't claim such supernatural powers.

Remember folks... this unnamed 2.0 Administrator (his initials are William Vigil - the same guy that said he could take Jimmy H. Woo in a real fight) said that this lesson is being shown IN RESPONSE TO A JAB.

Responding to a punch is poor strategy in a real fight. You are being RE-ACTIVE as opposed to being offensively PRO-ACTIVE.

Jimmy taught his students to fight PRO-ACTIVELY!

Boxers get thousands to millions of dollars to fight, depending on how well they fight. Show me a good boxer who can step off line from a jab, IN RESPONSE TO A JAB, and then turn and hit a la Vigil. Such a boxer would certainly be the best boxer in history.

Sorry, Bill Vigil ain't in Jimmy's pay grade.
Captain America
Site Admin

Postby Ron G » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:38 pm

It seems strange to me that science has never really addressed this as a major problem, in the past. As a teenager in the 1950's, I trained and fought at the VFW in Compton, California in the Junior Golden Gloves. Each night I trained and sparred with men who were pro fighters. They liked to train with the young guys because we had fast hands and gave them a good workout. I got my bell rang almost nightly because when the leather of the head gear and the gloves come together there is no slipping (the head gear does help prevent cuts). There is a solid transference of wave energy that travels into the brain; you can almost hear it rattle. My manager would put Vaseline on the headgear so the strike would not be so blunt, but it helped very little.

Second issue of 2.0; I left the group so I cannot read what is going on, but some keep me informed as to what is happening. These guys seem to think they have all the answers. They think that Grand Master Jimmy H. Woo and Kung-Fu San Soo suck, but from what I saw it is just the opposite. I remember (before I left) when they discussed how to catch a jab, many said they can do it. I posted that it was next to impossible to catch the jab of a good boxer because of reaction time; it is gone before you can react. They boasted that they could do it. If this is an example of their superiority; I don't want any. There has been a disagreement between Bill Vigil and one of Willard Ford's instructors, as to if Bill Vigil can catch the instructor's jab, which is supposed to take place today at the gym. If anyone was there, then please post here what the outcome was. I think I know (they may lie). Why is it so important for Bill Vigil to always attempt to prove himself? Sure, he knows a lot of ground moves; more than many of us. Then after disappearing for many years, and comes back to submit guys who don't know as much. Does it make him feel bigger? Go hang around guys at Gene LeBell's, and see how good you are.

I see 2.0 as a group who will also embarrass Kung-Fu San Soo as much as the people who posted the awful videos. They also seem to lack respect and honor. Just my viewpoint.
Ron G

Postby San Soo Sifu » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:30 pm

Tom Blackwell wrote:MMA fighters suffer traumatic brain injury in almost a third of professional bouts: study

Tom Blackwell
Wednesday, March 26, 2014

A mixed martial arts fighter suffers a traumatic brain injury in almost a third of professional bouts — far more than the rate of such injuries in hockey, football or even boxing, suggests a new Canadian study.

It is among the first scientific reviews of MMA’s concussion-related dangers, as other contact sports increasingly focus on the head-trauma issue.

The University of Toronto researchers analyzed seven years of Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) scorecards — which detail when a fight ends with a knockout or technical knockout — as well as watching videotape of bouts. They concluded the damage done to MMA fighters is likely exacerbated by the “surprising,” repeated blows to the head delivered after they have already been put out cold.

The researchers suggest banning the growing sport among young people, and instituting rules at the pro level that limit action after a competitor is downed, much like the 10-second count in boxing.

Concussions have become a hot topic in hockey and football, as evidence mounts of their potentially debilitating long-term impact, but received relatively little attention in MMA, note the authors of the paper, published in the American Journal of Sports Medicine.

“This draws attention to the fact that relevant questions need to be asked of a sport for which the objective at some level is to knock them out,” said Michael Hutchison, a U of T kinesiology professor and lead author.

“The [knocked out] person is rendered unable to defend themselves, and then they’re getting multiple strikes to their head. That’s probably not good for one’s health.”

The UFC — the sport’s dominant promotional company — is still reviewing the “technical medical document” and is not ready to comment on it yet, said Steve Keogh.

In barely a couple of decades, MMA has won a wide following in numerous countries, with one marketing company last year estimating its worldwide audience to be 300 million people.

Fighters are allowed to kick and punch, as well as employ wrestling-like techniques on the ground in bouts often conducted inside a chain-link-fence “octagon.” Some events pay cash rewards for the “knockout of the night.”

Despite its popularity, the sport has long faced criticism, with several medical associations calling for its banning, and some provinces and states doing so.

There is little empirical data, though, on its relative safety.

The study conducted by Prof. Hutchison and doctors at St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto did not involve actual medical diagnosis of MMA fighters.

Instead, they analysed the publicly available scorecards from professional UFC matches, which indicate whether a fight ended in a knockout or TKO. While not definitive evidence, it is probable that a knockout, where the fighter loses consciousness, involves a concussion or more severe brain injury, said Prof. Hutchison.

The researchers also analyzed video to find technical knockouts that involved multiple strikes to the head, which they also suggest likely represent a traumatic brain injury.

They detected an average of 6.4 knockouts per athlete for every 100 fights, or “athlete exposures.” When the multiple-strike TKOs were added, the total of suspected brain injuries climbed to 15.9 per athlete per 100 bouts, or one concussion-like injury in 32% of matches.

That compares to rates, found in other studies, of 4.9 concussions per 100 athlete exposures in boxing, 2.2 per 100 in hockey and 8.08 per 100 in football, the paper said.

Analysis of the fight video suggested that 90% of the TKOs were a result of repetitive strikes. “The 30 seconds before match stoppage was characterized by the losing competitor sustaining a flurry of multiple strikes to the head,” said the study.

Half of the knockouts occurred because of blows to the mandible, or lower jaw.

And the researchers found an average of 2.6 head strikes after a knockout, inflicted on unconscious fighters.

Evidence that such injuries can result in structural damage to the brain and “chronic traumatic encephalopathy” — sometimes known as boxer’s dementia — makes a strong argument that MMA should be banned for youth, and made safer for professionals, the researchers say.

UFC should consider a rule that would halt the bout at least temporarily after a competitor is knocked down, and require mandatory imaging scans of fighters who suffer knockouts or TKOs, they say.

http://ww2.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blog.h ... outs-study
Attachments
mma.jpg
Traumatic Brain Injuries & MMA
mma.jpg (114.48 KiB) Viewed 2374 times
San Soo Sifu

Postby San Soo Sifu » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:34 pm

San Soo Sifu

Postby San Soo Sifu » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:52 pm

Prediction of Brain Age Suggests Accelerated Atrophy After TBI

https://canadianmmalawblog.files.wordpr ... er-tbi.pdf
San Soo Sifu

Return to Anatomy and Physiology